I am a visual artist whose practice lays bare my own process, exploring the struggle to find a way into a subject and questioning my motives and ethics. From a conceptual point of view, I am interested in the dynamic between my personal motivation, my ambitions and how they support and conflict with my subject. Capturing moments seemingly not for camera, my films provide a framework to consider the extent of how much we exploit and manipulate people by revealing the power dynamic of relationships.
Alongside my art practice I provide Experiential Phototherapy workshops at three London based rehab clinics.
I am currently engaged in a year-long studio residency at The Florence Trust which culminates in a curated exhibition and publication in July 2018.
My work has appeared on the BBC, Channel4 and Dazed Digital and been commissioned by Bombay Sapphire. In 2013 I was shortlisted for The Artist’s Cut a film industry led programme in partnership with BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Arts. In 2015, The Photographers’ Gallery exhibited my graduate artist film for their competition dedicated to new talent, Fresh Faced & Wild Eyed.
· 1986-1989 Diploma Preliminary Art & Design, Withens Lane College of Art, Wallasey
· 1989-1991 OND Graphic Design, Withens Lane College of Art, Wallasey
· 1991-1993 HND Graphic Design, Nene College of Art & Design, Northampton
· 1990-1992 BA Hons Graphic Design, Liverpool College of Art
· 1992-1996 Lives in London working as Graphic Designer in Television
· 1996-2004 Lives in London working as Director in Television
· 2004-2008 Lives in New York and Los Angeles working as Director in Television
· 2009-2012 Lives in London and Paris working as Creative Director
· 2012-2014 MA Photography, London College of Communication
Selected Exhibitions & Screenings
· 2017 Florence Trust residency, Highbury, London
· 2017 Traces, FreeSpace Project, Kentish Town Health Centre, London
· 2015 Fresh Faced & Wild Eyed, The Photographers’ Gallery, London
· 2013 The Artist’s Cut, shortlisted, BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Arts, Gateshead
· 2013 Alan as part of Totem: Trajectories in Tragedy, Airspace Gallery, Stoke on Trent
· 2013 Sanskara (Steelite Pavilion, with Corinne Felgate) British Ceramic Biennial, Staffordshire
· 2013 No Guts No Glory, LOOK/13, Liverpool International Photography Festival
· 2017 Phototherapy Workshops, 12 weeks, Steps2Recovery
· 2016 Guest Speaker, University of Westminster, Photography BA Hons, London
· 2015 Phototherapy Workshops, 10 weeks, Cranstoun City Road
· 2015 Artist film collaboration with Corinne Felgate, The Factory of Things, Camden Arts Centre
· 2014 In Conversation, Yinka Shonibare MBE & Iwona Blazwich, (Director Whitechapel Gallery), documentary Director
· 2013 Photographic Collaboration with Florence Peake for Orpheus Twice at David Roberts Foundation, London
· 2013 Short Film (Alan as part of Totem: Trajectories in Tragedy, Airspace Gallery, Stoke on Trent
· 2011 Director Joe Wright, photographic Portraiture Commission
· 2011 Actor Jo Hartley, photographic Portraiture Commission
· 2011 Actor Peter Sullivan, photographic Portraiture Commission
· 2007 Noise (feature film), photographic portraiture commission by Warner Brothers & Henry Bean.
· 2001 BBC2 Greenlight Award – nominee
· 2001 Broadcast Award for best satellite, cable & digital documentary - nominee